但是，您也应该牢记，如果一个外国正在加入内战的一方作战，由于他们是独立的国家，因此在另一方投降后，您无法对投降的一方提出任何要求。这意味着一旦和平会议开始，您将无法对您占领的任何领土提出任何要求。 However, one should be mindful that if a break-away state is fighting a civil war and its opponents are taken out by a foreign power, the break-away state will retain control of its initial territory while the foreign powers will only be able to make demands on the nation they targeted, due to them being separate entities. This means you will not be able to make any demands on territory controlled by the rebels once the peace conference starts, meaning that starting a civil war to safeguard an invasion turns the conquest into a two-stage affair. Invading and defeating the target nation first, then invading and defeating the rebels after that.
If, on the other hand, one needs to trigger a civil war within their own country for reasons such as changing ideology (either through focuses or decisions), then there are two ways that you can easily win a civil war.
- If one is in charge of a small country (i.e., Greece, Bulgaria): train a single cavalry or motorized unit, and disband all other units. Deploy the unit and have it take all the victory points. While it is possible that the AI will train units by that point, it will not stop you from winning with this strategy as long as you keep on moving the cavalry/motorized unit.
- If one is in charge of a medium/large country (i.e., Germany, France): Get ahold of some army exp (through fighting in a war, exercising your troops, lend-lease, or sending an attache), and use that to design a template with a single artillery unit (anti-tank or anti-air will work just fine if you wish to use those instead). Train multiple copies of that unit, disband your entire army, and deploy the trained units at the start of the civil war. After your forces are split, change the divisions you kept to a different template. Because the AI will never change the template, this will make their army incredibly weak, and also give you a large number of units (which is helpful if you happen to have a civil war where, in addition to splitting the existing military, both sides will spawn new units).
In the case of the German Civil War, there are several additional strategies one can use to make it easier:
- If one sends all the equipment they have in a lend-lease to another nation that is at war a day before the war fires (either the Spanish Civil War or the Sino-Chinese War), and cancels the lend-lease after the war starts, the player will have all their equipment.
- If one conquers either Poland or Czechoslovakia beforehand (the former is very easy; the latter is harder, as it is guaranteed by France and Romania), the borders will not adjust and the Nazis will not take any Polish/Czech territory; as such, the Nazis will be forced to use the troops they spawned to take the unoccupied lands, and leave the borders near where the Landstrumregiments you start with spawn unprotected. If you spawn units in Poland or Czechoslovakia, they can keep the Nazi Landstrumregiments occupied while you use your Landstrumregiments to secure the victory points.
In the case of the American Civil War, the strategies differ depending on if one goes fascist or communist, as this will drastically impact the borders.
- If one is attempting to have the US become communist, the 13 states that broke away during the first civil war (Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia) will break away; if one does not complete "Guarantee the American Dream" before hand, they will also lose the Midwest. As such, it is recommended that one beeline for said focus. Fortunately, you will not have your forces split when this war begins, so if you position your troops on the borders of the states that will break away, it will be very easy to move downwards and defeat them. Deploy some cavalry (5 divisions should be plenty) near Texas to secure the oil supplies - the capital can vary (sometimes it can be Richmond, VA; sometimes it can be Mobile, Alabama), but deploying 5 additional cavalry closest to where the capital is can help as well (if you train 2 sets of 5 divisions but don't deploy them, you should be fine). Use your navy to ensure naval superiority on the East Coast and stop naval invasions.
- The war to become fascist is much harder. Preparations beforehand can include converting the military factories in New England and the West Coast to Civilian Factories and taking the focus "Recruit the Free Corps" can help you deal with infantry losses. Taking "Work With the Bund" will prevent the Midwest from breaking free.